Gokada is one of the leading technology startups in Nigeria, and has the potential to become one of the most impactful companies in all of Africa. The company operates the leading “superapp” on-demand multi-service platform in Africa’s largest economy, Nigeria, and Gokada’s services include delivery, ride-hailing, and other verticals. Similar to how more mature international peers such as Gojek, Grab, and Pathao evolved, Gokada is growing very rapidly and has attracted a strong roster of local and international VC backers.
The VP of Operations is one of the most important roles for Gokada and should supervise the functioning of all departments, working to provide conceptual and practical guidance to figureheads across the organization. You should also ensure that our values remain aligned with trends in consumers' behavior to maintain longevity.
Given the current Lagos market, traffic remains one of the biggest challenges. The city needs innovative projects to curb traffic, provide safer and better services, and make people lives easier.
You’ll be joining a team of highly motivated and vibrant professionals that believe in collaboration, passionate about excellence and results. You’ll learn about the Gokada way, our values, learn from our team, management, while also sharing your own best practices and your own style. You'll get to know our quirks and how we celebrate and value everyone's personality on our team and organization as a whole.
Objectives of this Role
- Collaborate with the CEO in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs
- Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
- Adhere to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary
- Analyze internal operations and identify areas of process enhancement
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with the CEO
- Directly oversee operations, HR, and accounting, and partner with the CEO on sales management to budget for sufficient investment capital to achieve growth targets over the near term
- Aggressively manage capital investment and expenses to ensure the company achieves investor targets relative to growth and profitability
- Monitor performance with tracking and establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports, both current and forecasting
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial mindset with proven experience starting and growing projects or enterprises
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for effective and efficient communication.
- Data-driven decision making mindset and solid analytical skills for problem-solving.
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills which involve multitasking and rapt attention to details.
- Creativity and enthusiasm for building something innovative and impactful
- Good knowledge of financial models.
- Interest in a company’s growth and self-development.
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity
- Understanding of advanced business planning and regulatory issues
- Be able to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues